As of February 2, 2020, new rules will be in force if you apply for a Schengen visa. The changes in the rules for the Schengen visa result from new EU legislation.
Most important changes:
- Earlier moment for submitting applications: You can apply for your Schengen visa as of 6 months before your planned travel date (this was 3 months). For seafarers this will be 9 months.
- Increased visa fees: Schengen visa fees for adults have increased from €60 to €80. Find all fees below.
- Multiple entry visa for regular travellers: If you regularly travel to the Netherlands / Schengen area, you may qualify for a multiple-entry visa with a longer period of validity. You must however, meet a number of conditions:
- multiple-entry visa for 1 year: if you have received a Schengen visa* 3 times in the past 2 years and used it correctly;
- multiple-entry visa for 2 years: if you have received a multiple-entry visa for 1 year in the past 2 years and used it correctly;
- multiple-entry visa for 5 years: if you have received a multiple-entry visa for 2 years in the past 3 years and used it correctly.
* An airport transit visa does not count.
- Applying at a Visa Application Center of an External Service Provider (ESP): In countries where the Netherlands uses the services of an ESP, such as VFS Global or TLS Contact, you must submit your visa application at the ESP.
- Biometrics / applying in person for Schengen visa applications: If you provided biometric data (fingerprints and photo) within the last 59 months prior to your current application, you can choose to have someone else submit your application for you. You do not have to appear in person. If, during the assessment of your application, it appears that your fingerprints are not in the system, you will have to come and submit them. Also, you can always be invited for an interview if your application gives reason to do so.
|Increase visa fees|
|Visa type||Old fees||New fees 2020|
|Schengen visa child 6-12 years||€35||€40|
|Schengen visa child 0-6 years||Free of charge||Free of charge|
Do you have any questions about the new rules? Call PIRGROUP at +31 (0)345-580381.